Wednesday, January 4, 2012

1st Day of Orientation

Yesterday I was on the go the entire day and I did not even sit/lay down on the bed until I went to sleep. What do you know, the bed was hard as a rock. I think it had a little more give than a rock. It took some getting used to, but interestingly enough I did not wake up with any pain or anything. When it gets warmer I will sleep on top of the thick blanket and that will add a little cushion, but for now it is too cold not to sleep under it. It is pretty cold in the morning and at night and the houses here do not have heat, thus I slept in my hoodie too :D. I think February it will get back to consistent warm weather.

I woke up at 7am to shower and prepare for the day. I have my own bathroom on the first floor. The hot water, of course, did not last too long, but I didn't completely freeze to death. Today is Jorge's (my host dad) day to cook. He had me help dice tomatoes, onions and tortilla which he fried together with eggs. He also fried beans to go with it. I asked if the dish had a name and he said no we are eating a no name dish, lol. I'm supposed to make up a name for it. I'm glad I got to help Jorge cook. Blanca will not let me help her cook or clean the kitchen if she's there. If she's not at home I can wash the dishes she said.

9am started orientation...it is like any other orientation except it was in Spanish and English. Some countries have a large presence like Austria, Colombia, Germany, a few from Argentina, and a few other large groups. There are only a few Americans, Canadians, and a couple people from Finland, Belgium, and a couple other countries. I feel so under accomplished because I only know English and very little Spanish, but to my credit I do know a little French and Arabic is my main language of study. After being with Blanca yesterday I have picked up a lot and I am already able to say basic, but whole sentences. Once classes start next Monday I think taking the Spanish as a foreign language will speed up the process of learning the basics.

Anyway, I think it is going to be difficult to make new friends right away because everyone is sticking either with people from their country/home university or by themselves. I met one person named Jorge from Colombia. He sat at the table with me for a couple minutes while we were using our laptops so that's a start. Once classes start, I get into activities on campus, and go on the trips and do the programs that the International Programs office hosts it will be smooth sailing from there. There only 5,000 students on campus so it will not be hard to get to know people.

Well I have 20minutes left until the end of break then it's back to Orientation.

Hasta luego!
~AST

No comments:

Post a Comment